Biotechnology & Enzyme Catalysis
Welcome to the Bornscheuer group!
Our major research target is the development of tailor-made biocatalysts suitable for industrial applications.
Please enjoy to explore our website to get a more detailed description of the group, its projects, publications and other information.
To see our fancy robotic platform, see here.
Overview of research activities
Access to biocatalysts
- Identification of new biocatalysts by screening, e.g. from strain collections
- In silico discovery of novel enzymes
- Cloning and functional expression in suitable microbial hosts
- Creation of tailor-made enzymes using directed (molecular) evolution and rational protein design
- Commercial enzymes
- Development of High-throughput-systems, e.g. robotic platform and microfluidics
- Development & application of bioinformatic tools
- Cloning, expression, purification, characterization of enzymes
- Chemical syntheses
- Chiral analysis (e.g. via gas chromatography or HPLC)
- Process development (e.g. continuous enzymatic synthesis)
- Plastic-degrading enzymes
- Baeyer-Villiger- and P450-Monooxygenases
- Synthesis of optically pure compounds, e.g. for pharmaceutical applications
- Degradation of algal polysaccharides using a toolbox of CAZymes
- Degradation of plastics, e.g.PET
- Modification of fats and oils, e.g. structured triglycerides
Prof. Dr. Uwe T. Bornscheuer
Dept. of Biotechnology & Enzyme Catalysis
Institute of Biochemistry
Telefon +49 (0)3834 420 4367